Tuesday 21 September 2010

What Have I Learned Since Last Tuesday?

Mainly the importance of planning a lesson, particularly in ICT where things can easily go wrong, from pupils misusing the computers to the computers themselves not actually functioning properly. To deliver a good quality lesson, teachers should get the pupils to work the answers out for themselves rather than the boring and uninteresting method of having all the necessary theory being read out from a textbook. But in order to engage the pupils, teachers must get to know them - their names, their attitudes to the subject and areas that require improvement. To obtain this information, teachers could have a seating plan and fire questions at as many pupils as possible throughout the lesson in order to maintain a sound understanding of everyone in the classroom as well as improving academic performance of the pupils and their attitude towards their studies.

I've also gotten to know about some helpful books on teaching at secondary level that my tutors recommend to trainee teachers. I recently made online purchases of a behaviour pocketbook (Pocketbook Behaviour Management by Peter Hook and Andy Vass), a teaching guide (Essential Teaching Skills by Chris Kyriacou) and a Microsoft Office textbook (Passing ECDL4 by Heathcote and Richard) that were all recommended and I feel it will be very helpful to have a look through these prior and during the course of my placement as I'll definitely need all the help I can get!

I found the national curriculum ICT unit requriement sheets we were given in one of our first lessons very helpful in our lesson planning exercise yesterday and feel that further revision of these assessment and objective guildlines will be required once I start planning my own lessons during my placement. The unit guide enabled me and my group members to construct lesson objectives and activities and gave us a great opportunity to come up with some ideas for working material for the pupils.

I managed to get my primary school placement sorted this morning too!

No comments:

Post a Comment